- 1 bottle of red wine (750 ml)
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 star anise
- 4-6 whole cloves
- 100 g sugar (to taste)
- Optional: 50 ml rum or amaretto
- Begin by juicing the oranges and lemon, and set the juice aside.
- Slice the oranges and lemon into thin rounds.
- Pour the red wine into a large pot and heat it over low heat. Be careful not to let it boil, as this can affect the flavor.
- Add the orange and lemon slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and whole cloves to the red wine. You can also add the juice of the oranges and lemon.
- Slowly heat the mulled wine and let it steep on low heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sweeten the mulled wine to taste by adding sugar. You can also add the rum or amaretto if you like.
- Carefully heat the mulled wine until it is warm but not boiling.
- Pour the mulled wine into heat-resistant glasses or mugs and garnish with an orange slice or a cinnamon stick.